For a specific ship search, make your selections below. For an alphabetical ship listing select Alphabetical Ship Search. Search is NOT case-sensitive.
|Advanced Ship Search|
|Search result for any reference to: barkentine|
|Bear: SS Bear, USS Bear, SS Bear of Oakland, SS Arctic Bear; Steam screw assisted Barkentine; Length: 198 ft, 4 in; Beam: 29 ft, 9 in; Draft: 18 ft; 703 displacement tons; Comp.: 26; 3x6pdr rapid fire guns (1885); Linthouse, Goven, Scotland; 1874 |
Built as the sealing vessel SS Bear by Alexander Stephen and Sons Ltd, she operated for a decade in the annual sealing hunt. SS Bear was commissioned as the USS Bear on the 17th of March 1884. She was used in the rescue of Lieutenant A. W. Greeley and six other survivors of the arctic expedition marooned at Cape Sabine and rescued on the 22nd of June 1884. In April of the following year, she was decommissioned and transferred to the US revenue Cutter Service in which she had a long service. Sold to the City of Oakland for use as a museum vessel and renamed Bear of Oakland. After purchasing Bear and equipping her with a diesel engine, Rear Admiral Richard E. Byrd used her as a second vessel for his Antarctic Expedition of 1933-35. Sold in 1962 to Philadelphia as a museum vessel. She lost tow and foundered about 90 miles south of Cape Sable, Nova Scotia on the 19th of March 1963, while on the way to her new berth in Philadelphia.
|Concretia: CGS Concretia; Single screw steam driven lighthouse supply and buoy tender; 24 NHP; Length: 126 ft; Beam: 22 ft; Draft: 10 ft; 320 tons; Montreal Shipbuilders, Quebec; 1917|
Concretia's hull, as made so abundantly clear by her name, was made of concrete (or ferrocement) as a WWI experimental lighthouse supply and buoy vessel. She was rebuilt in 1935 as a barge and abandoned in 1952 at Kingston, Ontario. She was salvaged and rebuilt in 1980 as the barkentine Onaygorah and in August 1982 she sailed to the Fiji Islands as a marine biology research vessel.
|David Dows: Barkentine; Length: 278 ft (260 ft keel); Beam: 37 ft; Draft: 18 ft; 1,481 net registered tons; Toledo, Ohio, United States; 1881|
David Dows is most often referred to as a five masted schooner, as she would have appeared after her square rig on the foremast was removed, leaving a fore-and aft rig on all masts. She was dubbed "The Queen of the Lakes" because of her sheer size and appealing shape. After having been reduced to a barge, she was abandoned during a winter storm on November 30th, 1889 and sank to the bottom of Lake Michigan near Whiting Indiana.
|Tormilind: Four-masted Barkentine; Length: 45.71 m; Beam: 10.3 m; 495.46 grt; crew 10; Hara, Estonia; 1922|
Built for the Käsmu Laevaomanikud shipping company, she is said to have been the most beautiful Estonian sailing ship ever built. She was lost in 1944.
|United States: SS United States; Three-masted barkentine-rigged wooden hull side-paddle wheel steamer; Length: 244.6 ft ; Beam: 40 ft; Depth of hold: 30.8 ft; 1,857 tons; New York, United States; 1847|
The United States was the first US steamship specifically designed and purpose built as a trans-atlantic steam vessel. She was sold to German Interests in 1849 and renamed Hansa. She was rebuilt in 1853 and carried immigrants from Europe to he New World until 1857. Sold into British ownership in 1858 and renamed Indian Empire for the Galway-Halifax-New york passage in which she was used for only one year. Her hulked remains sank on the 4th of May 1866, while moored at the Victoria Dock in London.